Traveling Abroad as a U of T Student

The Safety Abroad Office (SAO) in the Centre for International Experience is a service available to U of T students who travel abroad for a University activity. We partner with students, staff and faculty to minimize risk by:

  • Providing Safety Abroad Workshops
  • Monitoring security situations
  • Assisting students with emergencies abroad
  • Offering 24/hr Emergency line

If you are going abroad on a “U of T activity,” in other words if you are getting credit, funding or sanctioning from the University, then you will have to register with the Safety Abroad Office before you travel.

Please see all the information here.


All students must complete the following items at least one month before travel:

  1. Safety Abroad Workshop
  2. Safety Registry
  3. Obtain Supplementary Health Insurance

New Safety Abroad Steps before Travel

There are now two different pathways for students to take to register, depending on the nature of your travel and how it is being processed by the University. The two pathways are, Program Travel Registration and Department Travel Registration.

A trip is considered,

Program Travel if: (1) Someone from U of T is choosing participants and/or helping organize part of your travel; (2) if you are taking a trip as a group or field trip (ex. Exchange, internships or practicums)

Department Travel if: You are taking a trip that is organized by yourself and at a time that independent from conventional semester dates (ex. Conference or independent research)

Program Travel Registration

Your program will notify you when you should:

  1. Sign in to the Safety Registry
  2. Attend a Safety Abroad Workshop (valid for 1.5 years)
  3. Get Supplementary Health Insurance

Department Travel Registration

To kick-start your registration process you should:

  1. Fill in Online Registration Request form
    1. The SAO will register you and send you a confirmation email, you can then sign on to the Safety Registry and fill in your profile completing Emergency Contact, Passport and Travel Health insurance information
  2. Attend Safety Abroad Workshop (valid for 1.5 years)
  3. Get Supplementary Health Insurance