The Professional Experience Year Co-op Program is an optional opportunity to work full time (paid) for 12 to 16 consecutive months after second or third year. The positions offered help students apply engineering competencies to industry challenges while making meaningful professional contributions. Through PEY Co-op, students can focus on professional development without needing to switch between work and school each semester.
Each year, students have 1,500 to 1,800 job opportunities to choose from, representing more than 400 employers worldwide.
Four months vs. year-long positions
PEY Co-op goes far beyond a traditional work experience program, where jobs usually last four months — just about the length of a summer job and barely enough time to learn the ropes. PEY Co-op helps you understand the practical side of your studies, gives you insight into your own interests and helps you develop your skills as an engineer. With additional time to become familiarized with your role, you’ll have the opportunity to be treated as a professional, responsible for managing diverse teams and spearheading key projects.
Recent MSE PEY Co-op Facts & Figures
- approximately 45% of third year MSE students partake in PEY Co-op employment
- Out-of-town jobs include companies in Alberta, Canada to Antwerp, Belgium
Examples of positions and companies include:
- Aerospace Materials Research & Development Engineering Student, Messier-Dowty Inc.
- Discovery Program Intern, AGFA Graphics NV-Belgium
- Insulation Systems Development Intern, General Electric Canada
- Junior Accident Re-constructionist, Giffin Koerth Inc.
- Physical Failure Analysis Intern, AMD (Advanced Micro Devices Inc)
- Materials Engineering Lab Intern, Celestica Inc.
- Mechanical Reliability Materials Engineering Intern, Imperial Oil
- Polymer Compounds Research Assistant, ShawCor Ltd.
- Senior Technical Student, Toronto Hydro
Please visit the U of T Engineering Career Centre website for more information about the Professional Experience Year Co-op Program (PEY Co-op) and other internship programs.