Hani E. Naguib | BSc, MEng, PhD (Toronto), CEng, PEng, FASME, FCSME, FIOM3, FSPE, FSPIE
Professor and Director, Toronto Institute of Advanced Manufacturing (TIAM)
Joint-appointed with the Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Research Group: Toronto Smart Materials and Structures (TSMART)
Multifunctional composites, meta materials, bio-based materials
Micro and nano fabrication, self assembly, additive manufacturing
Sensors and actuators, soft robotics, e-textiles and wearables
Energy management materials:
Triboelectrics, supercapacitors, and flexible batteries
Prof. Hani Naguib is a Professor at the University of Toronto, and director of the Toronto Institute for Advanced Manufacturing. His major expertise is in the area of manufacturing of programmable materials including stimuli responsive materials, meta materials, and nanostructured materials. His research group focus on the development of new synthesis, micro and nanofabrication, and additive manufacturing techniques for developing these material systems. Naguib is the recipient of many honours and awards such as the Canada Research Chair, the Premier’s Early Research Award of Ontario, and the faculty Early Teaching Award. He is a Professional Engineer in Canada, a Chartered Engineer in U.K.
Naguib is a Fellow of the Institute of Materials Minerals and Mining IOM3, Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME, Fellow of the International Society for Optics and Photonics SPIE, Fellow of the Society of Plastics Engineers SPE, and Fellow of the Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineers CSME. He is the associate editor of Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures and associate editor for the journal of Smart Materials and Structures, and he is on the editorial board of several other journals. Naguib has been serving on the technical divisions’ board of directors for the SPE, ASME and CSME, ASM and has been organizing and chairing various conferences, symposia and seminars in national and international conferences in the field.The main goal of his research program is to develop sustainable and transformational materials and manufacturing for the energy, environment and health care sectors.
In addition to his research, Naguib is active in teaching topics in Mechanical and Materials Engineering, he has developed both undergraduate and graduate curricula covering series of courses and labs including: Materials Science, Mechanics of Materials, Smart Materials and Structures, Macromolecular Materials, Composite Materials Soft Materials, and Advanced Manufacturing. He has also served as the associate chair undergraduate studies and associate chair research for the department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto.
- Professional Engineer in Ontario, Canada (P. Eng)
- Chartered Engineer in the Engineering Council U.K. (C.Eng)
- Editor in Chief Journal of Polymers from Renewables Resources
- Associate Editor Journal of Smart Materials and Structures
- Editorial board of Journal of Cellular Plastics
- Editorial board of Cellular Polymers Journal
Editorial board of SPE Polymers Journal
- Fellow, Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineers (CSME)
- Fellow, Society of Plastics Engineering (SPE)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Fellow, Institute of Materials, Minerals, and Mining U.K. (IOM3)
- Fellow of the International Society for Optics and Photonics SPIE
- Member, Polymer Processing Society
Member Materials Research Society
Link to full list of publications
Peicheng Li and Zheng‐Hong Lu, “Heterojunction Energetics and Open‐Circuit Voltages of Organic Photovoltaic Cells” in “Emerging Photovoltaic Materials: Silicon & Beyond”, edited by S. K. Kurinec, (Wiley Scrivener, 2018).
M. Greiner and Z.H. Lu, “Charge Injection Layer” in “Fundamentals of High-Efficiency OLEDs: Basic Science to Manufacturing of Organic Light-Emitting Diodes”, edited by Evgueni Polikarpov and Dan Gaspar, (CRC Press, Inc., 2015)
Y.L. Chang and Z.H. Lu, “Organic Light Emitting Diodes”, Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, edited by J. Webster, p1-15 (Wiley 2014).
Z.B. Wang, M.G. Helander, and Z.H. Lu, “Transparent Conducting Thin Films for OLEDs” in “Organic Light-Emitting Diodes (OLEDs): Materials, Devices and Applications”, edited by Alastair Buckley, (Woodhead, 2013), p. 49-76.
M.G. Helander, Z.B. Wang, and Z.H. Lu, “Electrode/Organic Interface Physics”, in “Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology”, (Springer, 2012), p. 702-710.
Co-editor with H. Hasegawa, M. Hong, and S.J. Pearton, “Compound Semiconductor Surface Passivation and Novel Device Processing”, (MRS, Warrendale, Pennsylvania, 1999), MRS Symposium Proceedings Vol. 573.
Z.H. Lu, in Fundamental Aspects of Ultrathin Dielectrics on Si-based Devices, NATO ASI Series, edited by E. Garfunkel, E. Gusev, and A. Vul, (Kluwer, Boston, 1998), p49.
Z.H. Lu, D.J. Lockwood, J.M. Baribeau, in Photoluminescence of Inorganic Solids, M.J. Weber Ed. (SPIE, Bellingham, WA, 1998), p.614 [A reprint collection of milestone papers in this field from 1947 to 1997].
Michael Helander, Zhibin Wang, Jacky Qiu, Zhenghong Lu, “Organic electroluminescent device with multiple phosphorescent emitters”, US Patent 9935285, (Apr 3, 2018).
M Helander, J Qiu, Z Wang, ZH Lu, “Functionalization of a substrate”, US Patent 9,698,386, (Jul 4, 2017)
Michael Helander, Zhibin Wang, Jacky Qiu, Zhenghong Lu, “Organic electroluminescent device with multiple phosphorescent emitters”, US Patent 9,484,544 (Nov 1, 2016).
Dayan Ban, Zhenghong Lu, and Jun Chen, “Organic/Inorganic Hybrid Optical Amplifier with Wavelength Conversion”, US Patent No. 9082992 B2 (Jul. 14, 2015).
- MSE Professor Hani Naguib elected to the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists
- Soft Robot Programmed to Move like an Inchworm
Professor Hani Naguib demonstrates a prototype of his smart textile sensing glove based on electro-active polymers | Photo: Rob Waymen
MSE443: Composite Materials Engineering
- Fellow of the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) 2016
- Fellow, Society of Plastics Engineers (FSPE), 2015
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (FASME), 2014
- Canada Research Chair, Tier II, Smart & Functional Materials, 2011
- Fellow, Institute of Materials, Minerals, and Mining (IOM3) UK, 2009
- Early Career Teaching Award, University of Toronto, 2008
- Premier of Ontario Early Research Award, ERA, 2007
- Fellow of the Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineers (FCSME), 2007
- Canada Research Chair, Tier II, Smart & Functional Polymers, 2006
- G. H. Duggan Medal, Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineers, 200