Yu Zou | B.Eng. (Beihang University), M.Eng. (McGill University), Dr.Sc. (ETH Zurich), Postdoc (MIT)
Assistant Professor & Dean's Spark Professor
Office: PT 172A
T: +1 (416) 946-7236
Research Group: Laboratory for Extreme Mechanics & Additive Manufacturing
Our group uses novel experimental, analytical, and computational tools to explore materials with extreme properties or under extreme conditions, particularly for metallic materials. Our research themes can be summarized as 4Ms - metals, mechanics, manufacturing, and machine learning, covering many length and time scales. Of particular interest is to advance the fields of vital importance to the society, including aerospace, biomedical, electronic, environment, and energy sectors.
Metals: high-entropy alloys, nanocrystalline alloys, quasicrystals, titanium, aluminium and steels.
Mechanics: nanoindentation, in-situ instrumentation, high strain-rate/temperature deformation, fracture and failure analysis.
Manufacturing: additive manufacturing (3D printing), cold spray technology, mechanical alloying, arc melting, and magnetron co-sputtering.
Machine Learning: machine learning for alloy design, computer vision for advanced manufacturing
Dr. Yu Zou joined the MSE Department at U of T as an Assistant Professor in January 2018, after working as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at MIT. He received his doctorate, master’s, and bachelor’s degrees from ETH Zurich, McGill University, and Beihang University, respectively, all in Materials Science and Engineering. He was also a JSPS visiting scholar at Kyoto University. At U of T, Dr. Zou leads the Laboratory for Extreme Mechanics & Additive Manufacturing (LEMAM) and the research topics of his group include the design of novel metallic materials, multiscale mechanical testing, metal additive manufacturing (3D printing) and applied machine learning. At U of T, Dr. Zou is teaching “Mechanical behaviour of materials”, “Fracture and failure of materials” and “Additive manufacturing of advanced engineering materials”. Dr. Zou is currently serving as the Chair of Materials Technical Section in the Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM (MetSoc) in Canada.
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)
- The Metallurgical Society (MetSoc)
Link to Google Scholar
- Gang Niu, et al.,, Yu Zou* “Superior fracture toughness in a high-strength austenitic steel with heterogeneous lamellar microstructure” Acta Materialia (2022)
- Y Zou* “Cold Spray Additive Manufacturing: Microstructure Evolution and Bonding Features” (invited review), Accounts of Materials Research (2021)
- C Cheng, Y Xiao, MJR Haché, Z Liu, JM Wheeler, Y Zou* “Probing the Small-Scale Plasticity and Phase Stability of an Icosahedral Quasicrystal I-Al-Pd-Mn at Elevated Temperatures” Physical Review Materials (2021)
- Z Liu, B He, T Lyu and Y Zou* “A review on additive manufacturing of titanium alloys for aerospace applications: Directed energy deposition and beyond Ti-6Al-4V” JOM (2021)
- Z Liu, H Wang, MJR Haché, X Chu, E Irissou, and Y. Zou, “Prediction of Heterogeneous Microstructural Evolution in Cold-Sprayed Copper Coatings Using Local Zener-Hollomon Parameter and Strain” Acta Materialia (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2020.04.041
- Z.Liu, H. Wang, M. Haché, E Irissou, and Y. Zou, “Formation of 10-nm grain size in cold sprayed aluminum coatings” Scripta Materialia 177 (2020) 96–100 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2019.09.018
- M. Haché, C. Cheng, and Y. Zou, “Nanostructured high-entropy materials” Journal of Materials Research 34.20(2020)
- H. Wang and Y. Zou, “Microscale interaction between the laser and metal powder in powder-bed additive manufacturing: conduction mode versus keyhole mode” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (2019) 142, 118473 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.118473
- Y. Zou, “Nanomechanical studies of high-entropy alloys” (review) Journal of Materials Research, (2018)
- C. Meier, R. Penny, Y. Zou, J. Gibss, A.J. Hart “Thermophysical Phenomena in Metal Additive Manufacturing by Selective Laser Melting: Fundamentals, Modeling, Simulation and Experimentation” Annual Review of Heat Transfer, (2017), in press.
- Y. Zou “Materials selection in micro- or nano-mechanical design: Towards new Ashby plots for small-sized materials” Materials Science & Engineering A, (2017)
- Y. Zou, J. Wheeler, H. Ma, P. Okle, R. Spolenak “Nanocrystalline high entropy alloys: A new paradigm in high temperature strength and stability” Nano Letters, (2017), 17 (3),1569
- Y. Zou, P. Okle, H. Yu, T. Sumigawa, T. Kitamura, S. Maiti, W. Steurer, R. Spolenak, “Fracture properties of a refractory high-entropy alloy: In situ micro-cantilever and atom probe tomography studies” Scripta Materialia, 128 (2017) 95-99.
- Y. Zou, P. Kuczera, W. Steurer, R. Spolenak “Disappearance of plastic anisotropy in decagonal quasicrystals at small scales and room temperature” Extreme Mechanical Letters, 8 (2016), 229-234.
- Y. Zou, J. Wheeler, A. Sologubenko, P. Kuczera, W. Steurer, J. Michler, R. Spolenak “Bridging room-temperature and high-temperature plasticity in decagonal Al-Ni-Co quasicrystals by micro-thermomechanical testing” Philosophical Magazine (2016), 1-23.
- Y. Zou, P. Kuczera, A. Sologubenko, T. Sumigawa, T. Kitamura, W. Steurer, R. Spolenak “Superior room-temperature ductility of typically brittle quasicrystals at small sizes” Nature Communications 7, (2016). Highlighted in physicsworld, Nanowerk
- Y. Zou, H. Ma, R. Spolenak “Ultrastrong, ductile and stable high-entropy alloys at small scales” Nature Communications 6 (2015). Highlighted in ETH News; Pro-physik.de; Futurity; Labo; Analytik-news; ScientificAmerican (Asian)
- Y. Zou, R. Spolenak, “Size-dependent plasticity in KCl and LiF single crystals: influence of orientation, temperature, pre-straining and doping”. Philosophical Magazine 95 (2015), 1795-1813.
- H. Ma, Y. Zou, A. Sologubenko, R. Spolenak “Copper thin films by ion beam assisted deposition: strong texture, superior thermal stability and enhanced hardness” Acta Materialia 98 (2015) 17-28.
- Y. Zou, S. Maiti, W. Steurer, R. Spolenak, “Size-dependent plasticity in an Nb25Mo25Ta25W25 refractory high-entropy alloy” Acta Materialia 65 (2014) 85-97.
- Y. Zou, R. Spolenak, “Size-dependent plasticity in micron- and submicron-sized ionic crystals”. Philosophical Magazine Letters, 93 (2013) 431-438.
- Y. Zou, D. Goldbaum, J. A. Szpunar, S. Yue “Microstructure and nanohardness of cold-sprayed coatings: Electron backscattered diffraction and nanoindentation studies” Scripta Materialia, 62 (2010) 395–398.
- Y. Zou, W. Qin, E. Irissou, J. Legoux, S. Yue, J. A. Szpunar "Dynamic recrystallization in the particle/particle interfacial region of cold-sprayed nickel coating: Electron backscatter diffraction characterization " Scripta Materialia 61 (2009) 899-902.
Professor Yu Zou Receives the 2022 TMS Early Career Faculty Fellow Award
New Course Announcement: Additive Manufacturing of Advanced Engineering Materials
Professor Yu Zou was the recipient of the first JMR Early Career Scholar in Materials Science Award
Congratulations to Professor Yu Zou, recipient of an Ontario Early Researcher Award - Department of Materials Science & Engineering (utoronto.ca)
MSE316: Mechanical Behaviour of Materials
MSE419: Fracture and Failure Analysis
MSE1068/MSE468 Additive Manufacturing of Advanced Engineering Materials
- Ontario Early Researcher Award, 2022
- TMS Early Career Faculty Fellow Award, 2022
- TMS Materials Processing & Manufacturing Division Young Leader Award, 2021
- JMR Early Career Scholars Prize, Materials Research Society (MRS), 2020
- Outstanding reviewer award Acta/Scripta Materialia, 2019
- The Dean’s Spark Professorship, FASE, University of Toronto, 2018
- Connaught New Researcher Award (top-up funding), University of Toronto, 2018
- The James Clerk Maxwell Writers Prize - honorable mention, 2017
- The Swiss SNSF Early Postdoc.Mobility Fellowship, 2016
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad, 2015
- The Best Poster Prize for the Nanomechanics Symposium, MRS Fall, 2015
- Bilateral Japanese-Swiss Young Researchers’ Fellowship, 2014
- The Rio Tinto - Richard Evans Graduate Fellowship at McGill University, 2011
- Principal’s Graduate Award at McGill University, 2010