Eli D. Sone | BSc (Toronto), MS, PhD (Northwestern)
Joint-appointed with the Institute of Biomedical Engineering (BME)
Office: MB 320A
Research Group: Biological and Bioinspired Materials Laboratory
We seek to understand structure-function relationships in biological materials, and to apply these insights to bioinspired materials design. Our focus is on projects under two main themes: biomineralization and bioadhesion.
In the area of biomineralization, we use in vivo and in vitro models to understand the factors that control mineralization of collagen. We apply this knowledge of the development of tissue engineering scaffolds and injectable hydrogels for bone regeneration.
In the area of bioadhesion, we are working to uncover the mechanism of freshwater mussel adhesion. Through a better understanding of the proteins that mediate adhesion, we are working to develop anti-fouling surfaces to control biofouling of invasive species in the Great Lakes. In addition, we seek to develop novel bioadhesives for biomedical and dental applications.
Link to Google Scholar
- Glycosaminoglycans accelerate biomimetic collagen mineralization in a tissue-based in vitro model
2020; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America; Wojtas, M. | Lausch, A.J. | Sone, E.D.
- Oil-Infused Silicone Prevents Zebra Mussel Adhesion
2019; ACS Applied Bio Materials; Kimmins, K.M. | James, B.D. | Nguyen, M.-T. | Hatton, B.D. | Sone, E.D.
- Fingerprinting of Proteins that Mediate Quagga Mussel Adhesion using a De Novo Assembled Foot Transcriptome
2019; Scientific Reports; Rees, D.J. | Hanifi, A. | Obille, A. | Alexander, R. | Sone, E.D.
- In vivo and in vitro analysis of starmaker activity in zebrafish otolith biomineralization
2019; FASEB Journal; Kalka, M. | Markiewicz, N. | Ptak, M. | Sone, E.D. | Ozyhar, A. | Dobryszycki, P. | Wojtas, M.
- Multiphasic Collagen Scaffolds for Engineered Tissue Interfaces
2018; Advanced Functional Materials; Lausch, A.J. | Chong, L.C. | Uludag, H. | Sone, E.D.
- The effect of polyaspartate chain length on meditating biomimetic remineralization of collagenous tissues
2018; Journal of the Royal Society Interface; Quan, B.D. | Sone, E.D.
- A novel, Cell-permeable, collagen-based membrane promotes fibroblast migration
2018; Journal of Periodontal Research; Sadeghi, R. | Mahdavi, P. | Lee, W.S. | Quan, B. | Sone, E. | Ganss, B. | McCulloch, C.A.
- The spacial patterning of RGD and BMP-2 mimetic peptides at the subcellular scale modulates human mesenchymal stem cells osteogenesis
2018; Journal of Biomedical Materials Research – Part A; Bilem, I. | Plawinski, L. | Chevallier, P. | Ayela, C. | Sone, E.D. | Laroche, G. | Durrieu, M.C.
- Interplay of Geometric Cues and RGD/BMP-2 Crosstalk in Directing Stem Cell Fate
2017; ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering; Bilem, I. | Chevallier, P. | Plawinski, L. | Sone, E.D. | Durrieu, M.-C. | Laroche, G.
- RGD and BMP-2 mimetic peptide crosstalk enhances osteogenic commitment of human bone marrow stem cells
2016; Acta Biomaterialia; Bilem, I. | Chevallier, P. | Plawinski, L. | Sone, E.D. | Durrieu, M.C. | Laroche, G.
- Zebra mussels could point the way toward non-stick surfaces and medical adhesives - U of T Engineering News (utoronto.ca)
- UofT researchers find new evidence on factors that promote bone mineralization
- Two BME faculty promoted to professor position – Biomedical Engineering – University of Toronto (utoronto.ca)
- New evidence on factors that promote bone mineralization – U of T researchers find – Biomedical Engineering – University of Toronto (utoronto.ca)
JBM1050: Biological & Bio-Inspired Materials