2021 Summer NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA)
MSE has 6 awards available for 2021 Summer
|Student submission deadline:||March 22, 2021 (Department application deadline)|
|Value/Duration:||$6,000+$1,500 supervisory top-up for 16 weeks|
|Level of study:||Undergraduate Students|
|Required Legal Status:||Domestic (Canadian citizen or permanent resident)|
|Results:||April 2021 at the departmental level|
|Application:||Please see Application Procedure below.|
The NSERC USRA provides research work experience to help develop and inspire student’s potential for graduate studies and a research career in natural sciences and engineering. NSERC encourages qualified Indigenous students to apply for this award.
To be eligible to apply, you:
- are a Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada;
- are currently registered student in a Canadian post-secondary institution;
- have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of your bachelor’s degree (i.e., first year students are not eligible). PEY Co-op students can also apply for if research can begin on May 3, 2021;
- have obtained a cumulative average of at least “B” or “B-“;
- have not started nor completed graduate studies in the natural sciences or engineering;
- will work on R&D projects in a research field supported by NSERC;
- will be supervised by faculty members who is currently eligible to hold an NSERC research grant
- must be able to commit to work, full-time, the full 16 consecutive weeks (May 3rd, 2021 – August 20th, 2021).
You will be asked to complete:
- Student-Supervisor Certification
Signed by both student and supervisor. Make sure to date the form.
- Form 202- Part I (Student’s part)
Online via NSERC. You will have to log-in or create an account through their online system.
- Form 202- Part II (Supervisor’s part).
Online via NSERC. Please provide your supervisor with the reference number generated by the system once you have completed Part I.
This should be your most recent academic transcript, in PDF.
Students can provide an e-transcript or academic history report generated directly from ACORN.
- Submit to Undergraduate Liaison Officer
Please prepare a package of items 1-4 and submit via e-mail directly to email@example.com by March 22nd, 2021.
Please see USRA Application Checklist to ensure you have everything.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- USRA is intended to be over and above the academic credits required for degree. Award holders should not receive academic credits for work done during the USRA work term.
- Award holders may be enrolled in one (0.5 FCE) course during each term of the summer, with their supervisor’s permission. The awardee has an obligation for the duration of the award and should drop the course if the work for both becomes unmanageable.
- A student may hold only one USRA per fiscal year and a maximum of three USRAs throughout their university career. A student may hold only one USRA per fiscal year.
- Students are responsible for finding their own supervisors (please see MSE Faculty List). Please contact the supervisors directly to start the conversation.