PEY – more than co-op
Professional Experience Year (PEY) at the University of Toronto is Canada’s largest undergraduate paid internship program. PEY is much more than co-op – it is an optional full-time engineering-related job placement that lasts 12 to 16 months. Each year, more than 300 employers register to hire U of T Engineering students.
- Canada’s largest undergraduate paid internship program
- Open to U of T undergraduate students after Year 2 or 3
- 12 to 16 month work term placements
- Average PEY salary in 2013: $45,000 CAD (before taxes)
- About 70% of PEY students return to finish their degree with a job offer in hand
- On average, new grads with PEY experience can negotiate a starting salary at their first full-time job that is 15% higher than those without PEY experience
Four months vs. year-long terms
PEY goes far beyond a traditional work experience program, where jobs usually last four months — just about the length of a summer job and barely enough time to learn the ropes. PEY helps you understand the practical side of your studies, gives you insight into your own interests and helps you develop your skills as an engineer. With additional time to become familiarized with your role, you’ll have the opportunity to be treated as a professional, responsible for managing diverse teams and spearheading key projects.
Recent MSE PEY Facts & Figures
- approximately 45% of third year MSE students partake in PEY employment
- Out-of-town placements include companies in Alberta, Canada to Antwerp, Belgium
Examples of positions and companies include:
- Aerospace Materials Research & Development Engineering Student, Messier-Dowty Inc.
- Discovery Program Intern, AGFA Graphics NV-Belgium
- Insulation Systems Development Intern, General Electric Canada
- Junior Accident Re-constructionist, Giffin Koerth Inc.
- Physical Failure Analysis Intern, AMD (Advanced Micro Devices Inc)
- Materials Engineering Lab Intern, Celestica Inc.
- Mechanical Reliability Materials Engineering Intern, Imperial Oil
- Polymer Compounds Research Assistant, ShawCor Ltd.
- Senior Technical Student, Toronto Hydro
Please visit the U of T Engineering Career Centre website for more information about the Professional Experience Year (PEY) and other internship programs.