Stavros A. Argyropoulos | Professor Emeritus
BEng (NTUA, Greece), MEng (McGill), PhD (McGill), FCAE, PEng
Office: MB 220A
Honours & Awards
- Research & Development (R&D) Medal, Ontario Professional Engineers Awards (2013)
- Best Paper, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly (2010)
- Fellow, Canadian Academy of Engineering (2010)
- Canadian Metals Chemistry Award, CIM (2009)
- Best Light Metals Paper, Light Metals Section, Metallurgical Society, CIM (2003)
- Extraction and Processing Science Award, TMS (1996)
- Best Paper, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly (1995)
- Robert W. Hunt Award, Best Original Paper in Iron and Steel (1990)
- Iron and Steel Society Professor (1988)
- Honourable Mention Citation, 43rd Electric Furnace Conference (1986)
- Charles W. Briggs Award (best paper), 41st, 42nd, 46th Electric Furnace Conference (1984, 1985, 1989)
- President’s Gold Medal, Canadian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy (1978)
Professor Argyropoulos’ research focuses on the kinetics and recovery of assimilation of additions in liquid metals. In this area, he has carried out research work on over 120 different additions grades in different liquid metals such as steel, high carbon iron, nickel, zinc, aluminum and magnesium. This work has been carried out both in the laboratory as well as in collaboration with industry. Heat mass and momentum transfer principles are used to study the various parameters affecting the kinetics and recovery of assimilation of additions in liquid metals.
Another area of his research is sensor development to detect magnitude and direction of velocity in high temperature liquid metals such as steel and aluminum. Professor Argyropoulos also conducts research on the various factors impacting on the heat transfer at the metal-mold interface. He has one patent and has published more than 130 papers and technical reports.
S. A. Argyropoulos and A. Biswas:” The Recovery and Mass Transfer Kinetics of Vanadium Additions in Liquid Steel”, Transactions of ISS, Iron and Steelmaker, pp. 89-97, October 1994
H. Hu and S. A. Argyropoulos: “ Mathematical Modeling and Experimental Measurements of Moving Boundary Problems Associated with Exothermic Heat of Mixing”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 39, No.5, pp. 1005-1021, 1996.
S. A. Argyropoulos:” Exothermic Phenomena in Liquid Steel”, Transactions of ISS, Iron and Steelmaker, pp. 65-80, July 1996.
S. A. Argyropoulos and M. Pekguleryuz: “Development of an Index to Quantify the Addition Recovery in Light Metals”, CIM Bulletin, June 2002, pp. 83- 86.
Melissari B. and Argyropoulos S. A.: Measurement of Magnitude and Direction of Velocity in High-Temperature Liquid Metals. Part I: Mathematical Modeling, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, Volume 36B, October 2005 , pp. 691-700.
Melissari B. and Argyropoulos S. A.: Measurement of Magnitude and Direction of Velocity in High-Temperature Liquid Metals. Part II Experimental Measurements, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, Volume 36B, October 2005 , pp. 639-649.
Sun K. and Argyropoulos S. A. : The Exothermicity and Recovery of Al-Mn compacts into Molten Aluminum, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol. 45, No. 2 2006, pp. 223-232
S. A. Argyropoulos and H. Carletti, Comparisons of the Effects of Air and Helium on Heat Transfer at the Metal-Mold Interface, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, Volume 39B, June 2008, pp.457-468.
Z. Li and S.A. Argyropoulos,”The Assimilation of Mn-Al powder compacts in liquid Mg: Exothermicity and Recovery Issues”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol. 48 , No. 4, pp 399-418, 2009
Z. Li and S.A. Argyropoulos, “The Assimilation Mechanism of Mn-Al Compacts in Liquid Mg”, Materials Transactions of Japan Institute of Metals, Vol. 51, No. 8(2010) pp. 1371-1380.
M. S. Ahmadi, S A. Argyropoulos, M. Bussmann, and D. Doutre: Comparative Studies of Silicon Dissolution in Molten Aluminum Under Different Flow Conditions, Part I: Single-Phase Flow, METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS B, VOLUME 46B, JUNE 2015, pp. 1275-1289
M. S. Ahmadi, S A. Argyropoulos, M. Bussmann, and D. Doutre: Comparative Studies of Silicon Dissolution in Molten Aluminum Under Different Flow Conditions, Part II: Two-Phase Flow, METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS B, VOLUME 46B, JUNE 2015, pp. 1290-1301.
S. A. Argyropoulos, Z. Li, M. Sukhram, M. Bussmann & D. Doutre: Aluminium scrap melting under different liquid aluminium flow conditions: part-I: single phase flow, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, 2016, Vol. 55 No.3, pp. 261-272
S. A. Argyropoulos, Z. Li, M. Bussmann, D. Doutre & M. Sukhram: Aluminium scrap melting under different liquid aluminium flow conditions: part-II: two phase flow, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, 2016, Vol. 55 No.3, pp. 273-284
- Liquid and powder metal processing
- Process Modelling
- Process Control
- Metallurgical Processing
- Statistical Quality Control
- Heat Mass and Momentum Transfer in Materials Processing
- Process and Quality Control
- Solidification and Casting
- Kinetics and Reactor Design
- Process Simulation And Computer Design
- Engineering Statistics
- Industrial Applications of Microprocessors
- Mathematical Modeling in Materials Processing
- Advanced Rate Phenomena in Materials Processing
- Quality Engineering