Kinnor Chattopadhyay | BEng (Jadavpur), MEng (McGill), PhD (McGill), PEng
Associate Professor & Dean’s Catalyst Professor
Office: EA 201
Research Group: Process Metallurgy Research Labs
Related News & Features
- MSE recognized for contributions to metallurgy industry
- Canadian natural resources expert joins U of T MSE
Honours and Awards
- TMS Light Meals Division, Aluminum Reduction Technology Best Paper Subject Award, 2018.
- METSOC, Pyrometallurgy Section Best Paper Award, 2017
- AIST Kent D. Peaslee Junior Faculty Award, 2016
- CIM METSOC Brimacombe Award, 2016
- Professional Engineers Ontario
- Association for Iron and Steel Technology (AIST)
- Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) – Life Member
- Canadian Institute of Metallurgy, Mining and Petroleum (CIM)
- Iron and Steel Institute of Japan (ISIJ)
The Process Metallurgy and Modelling Group focuses on physical and mathematical modelling of metallurgical process for designing new processes, better understanding of existing process, operational improvements, and to perform ‘what if’ and ‘root cause’ analyses of problems. Fundamentals of metallurgical thermodynamics, transport phenomena and CFD modelling are applied to simulate real industrial processes.
Topics of Interest
- Fluid flow, heat transfer, and thermodynamics
- Steelmaking and casting
- Ferroalloy production and refining
- Transport phenomena in metallurgical reactors and furnaces
- Integration between thermodynamics and transport phenomena
- Knowledge cross pollination between ferrous, non ferrous and light metal processes
- Air emissions from metallurgical furnaces
- Integrated Modelling Solutions (Data Driven Modelling +ANN +Thermodynamic Modelling +Computational Fluid Dynamics)
Contributor of four subchapters in Volume 2., Chapter 4, Metallurgical Process Technology- Treatise in Process Metallurgy, Elsevier Publications, Editor in chief, Prof Seshadri Seetharaman, KTH, Sweden, 2012
Contributor of chapter “ Mn emissions from Steelmaking” in Dangerous Emissions in Iron and Steelmaking Plants, Springer Publications, Editor in chief, Prof Pasquale Cavaliere , University of Salento, Italy, 2015
Borrmann, S., Halbauer, L., Buchwalder, A., Chattopadhyay, K., Saenko, I., Schwarze, R., Biermann, H., Kratzsch, C. and Guthrie, R. (2018), “Electron Beam Welding of CrMnNi-Steels: CFD-modeling with temperature sensitive thermophysical properties”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 139, 442-455
Ma, A., Chatterjee, S. and Chattopadhyay, K. (2018), “Ensemble prediction of tundish open eyes using artificial neural networks”, ISIJ International, ISIJINT-2018-637
Mukherjee, S., Kavalsky, L., Chattopadhyay, K. and Singh, C. V. (2018), “adsorption and diffusion of lithium polysulfides over blue phosphorene for Li-S batteries”, Nanoscale, 10,45, 21335-21352
Asad, A., Haustein, M., Chattopadhyay, K., Aneziris, C., and Schwarze, R. (2018), “Numerical assessment of a filtration experiment influenced by microscale carbon monoxide bubbles arising in steel melt”, JOM, 70 (12), 2927-2933
Mukherjee, A. and Chattopadhyay, K. (2018), “Digital transformation and the new economics of steel”, Steel Times International, 42 (4), 27-31.
Alvin Ma, Sina Mostaghel, Kinnor Chattopadhyay “Development of an Artificial Neural Network to Predict Sulphide Capacities of CaO-SiO2-Al2O3-MgO Slag System” Accepted ISIJ International, 2016
Asgarian, A., Heinrich, M., Chattopadhyay, K. and Bussmann, M., “Computational modelling of water sprays in molten metal atomization process”, In: Proceedings of EUROPM 2018, 14 – 18 October 2018, Bilbao, Spain.
Asgarian, A., Alicandri, R., Chattopadhyay, K. and Bussmann, M., “Initial development of an industrial tool to model water atomization of metals”, In: Proceedings of WORLDPM2018, Sep. 16-20, 2018, Beijing, China.
Li, N., Gao, L. and Chattopadhyay, K., “Migration behavior of fluorides in spent potlining during vacuum distillation method”, In: Proceedings of Light Metals 2019: Aluminum Reduction Technology in 2019 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, San Antonio, TX, USA
Mambakkam, V., Alicandri, R. and Chattopadhyay, K., “SPL as a carbon injection source in an EAF: A process study”, In: Proceedings of Light Metals 2019: Aluminum Reduction Technology in 2019 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, San Antonio, TX, USA
Konar, B., Li, D., Leung, J., Sengupta, J. and Chattopadhyay, K., “Tundish Open Eye formation: Integrated troubleshooting using computational modeling, physical modeling, and plant trials”, In: Proceedings of AISTech 2019 The Iron & Steel Technology Conference and Exposition, Pittsburgh, PA,USA
Konar, B., Li, D. and Chattopadhyay, K., “Demystifying the CC mold at University of Toronto: The first full-scale mold water model in North-American academia”, In: Proceedings of AISTech 2019 The Iron & Steel Technology Conference and Exposition, Pittsburgh, PA, USA